Saturday, February 19, 2011

What you eat & how you vote.

It's not like me to go on the war path and openly declare my distaste for political issues but I am genuinely confused by the seeming disconnect between political parties in what they say and what they actually do. To be honest, I had great reservations about voicing my concern in this forum as it is really meant to be a light hearted look at this new chapter in my life. I have in fact gone back and changed it from my initial rant that I wrote at 2am. I have tried to remove some of my cutting sarcasm. I have not done this because I am backing down or realize the error of my ways but more to make some corrections and try to better connect the point of what we eat and how it affects our politics.

I have bundled up a few different issues and I'm finding it very difficult to make it a coherent thought.

Among all of my rantings below I have a few key points:
1. The meat packing industry paid about $18.00 per hour to Americans plus benefits in the '80's.
2. The meat packing companies started consolidating like many business today in order to control their market, this led to the opportunity to bust up unions and hire cheaper labor.
3. The meat packing industry along with many other "American" companies started hiring illegal immigrants to work for less money which led to Americans loosing jobs.
4. Illegal immigrants are forced to work in conditions that are on equal to third world countries right here in the good old USA.
5. Illegal immigrants have to steal or buy fake & real Social Security numbers to work which leads to identity and job theft.

6. The unsafe practices forced on the illegals are also making us sick!
Where is the outrage over large American companies who actually advertise in Mexican newspapers to recruit workers? For years our government has turned a blind eye. As long as the companies help the INS "capture" 15 illegal immigrants a month they can avoid having their plants raided. Nearly 80% of all the meat processed in this country is done through four plants. Since they hire so many illegal aliens they can save more money by cutting back on safety. That also affects the handling of your food. They keep the line moving so fast that feces gets on the meat we eat and this is how we get E.coli. Over 76 million Americans are stricken by foodborne illnesses each year in large part due to these money saving practices.
Illegal immigrants are not "undocumented", they buy Social Security numbers and pay taxes into the system. The Social Security Department is fully aware of this problem. States with high levels of illegal immigrants also have proportionately higher than normal job and identity theft. Job theft is when an illegal immigrant (or anyone) uses your social security number to get a job . Then if you tried to apply for the same job you would be denied being hired because that social security number has already been hired.
Here is a bit of generic background on the meatpacking industry in regards to my issues. If I am incorrect or missing key elements please let me know:
You see at one time the meat packing industry was dominated by unions. Meat Packing jobs were well paying jobs with good benefits for Americans. But once the large companies realized they could bust up the unions and import bus loads of illegal immigrants the doors were opened. It is now one of the most dangerous jobs in this country. You won't see Mike Rowe doing it! The companies cut back on safety and push the workers not to file workers compensation claims. That of course saves the company money so they could afford to keep you in your job. That leads to satisfied share holders. My own husband was asked to not go to the doctor when he sustained an injury on the job because that would harm their "days without an incident". There really is no end to corporate greed.

Much of the money the illegal immigrants earn gets sent back to their home countries. In the month of October 2008 over 2 billion US Dollars were sent to Mexico instead of being fed back into our economy. So not only are we trying to support our own economy we are helping to support the economy of other countries.
 I know for a fact that the INS calls ahead to companies and advises of them when they will be giving audits. Large companies deny good paying jobs to Americans so they can hire cheaper illegal immigrants. The either directly hire illegals with falsified documents or... they hire "temp" workers so that the legal burden is not theirs. Either way Americans are now being "outsourced" in their own country. When will we wake up and realize what is going on? I saw this first hand when I lived in Minnesota. There was a temp agency in my local shopping center that was notorious for hiring illegals. They photo copied what ever social security card you brought in and sent you of to work.
 One of the things I find appalling is that in the 2008 elections the meat packing industry contributed 70% of it's funds to Republicans who are supposed to be anti-illegal immigrant and are all about Americans working in American jobs. In fact, 3/4 of the 10 million of it's contributions made since the 1990 election cycle have been to the GOP. According to Opensecrets.org. This is what I find so confusing. Maybe someone could help me better to understand this. On a side note that year the single largest contribution went to a Democrat.

I am also confused with the desire to have less government when time and time again we are shown that companies simply can not and will not actively police themselves. The USDA came out with a new law to help protect us after so many millions become ill and about 5000 die annually . The Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point laws allow much of the safety testing to be done by the plants themselves. Do we really trust them to over see the safety of our children and our selves when they knowingly break the law every day?
Most of my friends are Republicans. Maybe they can help me understand the connection of campaign contributions from large companies that take jobs away from Americans, hire illegal immigrants and make us ill. It could be that I am very misinformed and I welcome any and all opinions! I would not class myself as a bleeding heart Liberal. I am pro gun and have other conservative leanings.
If you are interested in learning more I encourage you to learn how our government turns a blind eye while Americans go without jobs. There are many more sites I can point you to if you are interested... just let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Michele. The problems are complex, and not easily condensed to FOX news talking points, although that's what most people get. (If you're not THIS, you are THAT.)

    ReplyDelete