Tuesday, November 9, 2010

When is time to take away the nuk?

November 9, 2010

When is the proper age to take away the nuk?

My cousin for what ever reason had a nuk that she had left over at our house one day. The puppy discovered it and it has been a favorite toy ever since. She really does suck on  it like a toddler would. If I let her keep it for too long will she get bucked teeth?

Speaking of teeth, do any of you brush your dog’s teeth? I’ve only for sure known one person that brushed her dogs teeth. I can not imagine getting Zoe to set still for two seconds to do it. She would just try to bite me like she normally does. My hands are riddled with scratches from sharp nails and teeth. She is getting better about not biting so much but when I play with her toys with her I inevitably get torn up.

To squeek or not to squeek… is that really the question? I personally love the sound of her working on her squeaky toys. There is absolute joy in the sound; I know it is pure happiness for her in that moment and I am not annoyed one little bit! Paul has asked why I insist on continuing to buy toys that squeek but honestly, every time she plays with it I smile so much and everyone needs something in their day that makes them smile.

The day is fast approaching when I will have to deliver the mail in Mount Nebo all by myself. I am beginning to panic because I am only now realizing how short my arms are. This is not something I have ever given a great deal of thought on. I just accepted my short extremities “in stride” so to speak. (pardon the pun) and have spent a small fortune getting clothes adjusted for me over the years.

But on November 22nd I will have to reach across my center console and open the mail boxes on the opposite side of the Jeep with my 24 inch arms and pray for a miracle.  All this so that my local postman (John) can have the deer season opener off. How on earth did I get conned into this? I have spent 3-4 mornings every week in the post office learning to sort mail for the good people of Mount Nebo. I feel I now know the actual rural mail route and the big day approaches.

Do you think it would be too awful for me to hope for some very contagious disease? Nothing too awful … maybe something like mono? It’s just a thought.  

While I am at it… do your postal carrier a favor. Make sure your address is correct from everyone that you get mail from. They had a big 911 change of address out here and you wouldn’t believe the amount of mail that still comes to the old addresses. Keep in mind that this happened ages and ages ago! It’s sorta like “be kind and rewind”. Practice good karma for your postal carrier! P.S. cookies and other goodies are normally a welcome site too! J

To save money because I am a cheap azz I have decided to build a chicken coop instead of buying one coz they really do cost a fortune. What a freaking racket that is!!!  Any suggestions on what works, doesn’t work and on rodent/predator proofing is greatly welcome!!!

Anyway… enjoy the pic of Zoe while I go outside and rake the leaves and hunt for eggs.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brits,

    I'm really enjoying your posts :) As for the coop, a couple of thoughts (based on our experiences):

    - Have a really solid door lock
    - Ensure all windows have solid mesh coverings
    - Ensure that wire protecting outside area is well footed so it can't get pulled out or dug under
    - Bottom of coop should be well above ground level

    CountryGirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the advice! I have also learned that I need to protect them from above which I hadn't thought of. I saw a great design which had the hardware cloth about 1 foot up the sides of the coop and then it went to the ground, then straight out about 3 feet. I am worried I'm starting to over think it though. Thank you for your support and kind words!

    ReplyDelete