Thursday, December 2, 2010

CK= Chicken Killer

November 30, 2010
CK…

This is Zoe’s new nick name. CK stands for chicken killer. Yes, the unthinkable happened. Zoe killed one of my fancy new hens. I cried because I was angry with her for breaking a trust. I can no longer let her run free.

RIP Columbian Rock Hen!



At the end of the day and two weeks later I have a bit more clarity on the subject. She looks and acts like a bird dog. Why on earth would I be surprised that she did what comes natural? At the end of the day keeping the chickens safe is my job.

On to my fancy new chickens: I forget how long it’s been since I’ve written. I won a 2 free hotel night stay so that I could attend the Ohio National Poultry Show. I won this from the Chicken Whisperer radio show. I am so glad that I went and I really learned a lot. While I was in Ohio, one of the Chicken Whisperer cult members helped me to pick out a couple of chickens that were so beautiful! They won’t be dinner. I got two pairs of bantams: Buff Brahma and Columbian Rock. 

Black Australorp Jonesy

The biggest thing I learned is that you can not truly appreciate the size of a chicken in a brochure. I must have looked a rite simpleton with my mouth hanging open when I came to the English breed section which included the Orphingtons and the Black Australorps. They are massive chickens! Most of their huge size is really from their feathers but don’t get me wrong… Jonsey has been accused of being a turkey. Jonsey is the fifth chicken I went home with, a Black Australorp rooster. I named him after a dark haired, handsome Australian guy that I know. That and I couldn’t think of any Australian men’s names.


Buff Brahma Bantam

Today she taught me a new lesson. A lesson in eggs. I have a large planter on the porch that my two white banty hens use to lay their eggs in. Today she kept walking by the planter and the last thing I wanted her thinking is that she can eat those chickens! I told her no and she moved along to go do her business.

The next thing I knew is she ran into the house got as far as the dining room before she dropped an egg she had in her mouth! Arrrgggg! Now she has decided she likes eggs! I yelled at her and made her stay outside while I let the other dog “clean: up the mess.



I even eat the shells!


I opened the door to let her back in and she wasn’t there so I went looking for her. She was at the side of the house running to me with another egg in her mouth. Wait a minute! She found the place where the Red Devils had started laying their eggs. I praised her this time and got her to show me the spot. She pulled out a few more for me and after me taking three of them away from her, I guess she had had enough. She ran to the front door and dropped a fourth egg so it would break and it was a double yoker. My girl ain’t no dummy! I put the uneaten three eggs in the planter to try and show the hens where I want them to lay but I will have to let the dogs eat them as I’ve no clue how old they are.

So I’ve been busy learning hard lessons the past couple of weeks. The Red Devils will NOT get the best of me and they are in for a rude surprise tomorrow when they don’t get to free range.

Mama's free range eggs are YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment