Monday, May 9, 2011

"Hen Spa" menu now offers basil exfoliation and 375 degree sauna...


Yesterday I discovered my red devils love basil. They ate my two plants down to nubs. I was so angry I could have sent them to the 375 degree sauna but I no longer had fresh basil to rub on their freshly exfoliated skin.

It’s a lovely day on the farm and I had to stroll down to the coop and take some pics of the teenage chickens. Some of them are looking very grown up indeed! So much so that Rocky is “trying it on” with the White Leghorns and
Silver Laced Wyandots and he even thinks the Ancona’s are cute but they are still too young. 

Some of them are very curious and come running when they see me out side. So I had to just slip off my flip flops, sit in the grass and take a few photos of them.

Poor basil plant!
 Most of them are designated as egg layers but most of Jonesey’s offspring will wind up as dinner. Ditty is safe however. We became attached to him when he had a hard time hatching and I had to help him hatch. He unfolded in my hands and was so teeney weeney. He/she is growing up nice and strong and has now joined the other juvies down at the coop.

Young Anona (white egg layer)

It’s funny to watch the young chicks figure out their pecking order. They will mock charge each other. This completely cracks us up! They will be at opposite ends of the brooder and suddenly run towards each other and chest bump!

My pretty weather turned cool and rainy again. I know in theory that all of this rain makes it lush and green in West Virginia but I have to admit it’s getting old. It really seems we can’t go more than 3 days without rain.
Black Australorp x RIR young roo

I’ve planted flowers at the front of the house and I’ve thrown down grass seed. I can’t seem to keep the chickens out of the grass seed. What did I really expect? They are chickens. They eat seeds. I need to get over it.

Fergus did manage to "get busy" with two of the Red Devils as I had two large brown eggs hatch red chicks with feathers down their legs. They are lovely chicks and I can’t wait to see what they look like when they grow up. I’m guessing they will look like Fergus but be full size like the Red Devils.

This week I also took a few photos of the gang in their natural setting. Rocky up on the roof of the barn and the teenagers hanging about foraging. The grass is starting to get pretty high with all the rain we have had and it will be time to mow for hay soon, nearly time for the first cut. Sometimes I will be walking around the farm and I see a little head pop up out of the tall grass and it makes me smile. I love the fact that they eat all the nasty buggies up!
Juvy White Leghorn

Summer will officially be here for me when I see the first lightening bug light up over the front field. I can’t wait!



Paul's young
Speckled Sussex rooster


No comments:

Post a Comment