Monday, October 18, 2010

I'm so EGG-cited!

October 17, 2010

It was the oddest thing. Really. It had me panicked. One of the Red Devils didn’t come home Thursday night. I thought for sure some predator had gotten her. Which then took me down the path of… did that same predator take Edgar?

I walked around the house looking for her and even that night when I let Zoe out for the last time around she was nowhere to be seen.

I’ve never had a problem with my chickens not wanting to come to the front porch to roost for the night. Even if I am away from the house till late… I know that when I get back home they will be all up on the porch waiting for me to give them their little bed time snack and tuck them to bed. Clearly she is nothing but a “loose hen”.

For the life of me I’ve no idea where she was all night but she showed up Friday morning.

Saturday evening I learned that chickens can fly a lot more than I gave them credit for. In the evening before they go into their pens the chickens like to sit on the stack of wood on the porch. Paul must have really disturbed one of the hens because when I went out to put them to bed Paul said… how are you going to get that one out of the tree?

Oh for crying out loud! One of the white hens was up on a tree branch that was easily 10-15 feet up off the ground! Grrrr I had to take a long pole and hit the branch enough times to force her to fly back to the porch. I had no idea they could fly that high!

Jenny, one of the white hens started laying eggs! She laid her first one yesterday in a planter on the front porch and sure enough… she came back again today and laid another one!



They are teeeeney weeeney! Her first egg fits perfect inside a teaspoon.  

Tomorrow is mine and Paul’s 5 year wedding anniversary and sadly he will be out on the road. However, we’ve had a really nice weekend. Yesterday we went on a hay ride out in the country with people from The Tractor Bar. It was so beautiful and sunny and we took a bottle of wine. What more could you ask for?

I'd like another 105 years :)

1 comment:

  1. Don't be mean! It was her first. Just be happy that I finally found the spot the Red Devils have been laying their big eggs!

    ReplyDelete