Thursday, October 7, 2010

Do you need some Pecker Recker?

I know I hate it when it feels like the girls in the office are constantly pecking at your back. Give ‘em a block of Pecker Recker and have them keep their beaks to themselves! Guaranteed to help with the workplace pecking order!

The other thing I've come across lately is saddles for chickens.  

Did you stop for a moment and create a mental image of a chicken wearing a saddle or apron? If not, I encourage you to do so now.

Take that moment and embrace it.

If you can’t wrap your head around it I’ve got a pic below.

Chicken saddles or hen aprons are used when roosters get too affectionate or rough with his ladies or if a chicken is being pecked on for other reasons.

While I did not know I may one day need either product I am completely rollin’ with it.  

Fergus (my rooster) can be a bit aggressive when he’s in the mood for love but I have not noticed if he pulls out feathers when he’s “on the job”. Ruffled them yes, pulled them out, no.

So far I don’t think he has “jumped” any of the 6 Rhode Island Red hens that I acquired in September. He needs to get over this because I need them to breed next season so that I can have a nice supply of broilers/fryers.

At first the hens clearly didn’t like Fergus. He was the first rooster they have been exposed to and well… they quickly showed him that he was not wanted or needed. (and who hasn’t felt that way at one time or another?) They weren’t mean to him but they did run away. The other two white banties that he was raised with don’t do that. I’m sure he confused by their odd behavior.

If he’s not man enough to do the job I’ll be forced to get someone else who is. Do you think he should show up with some flowers? Or, is it possible that he doesn’t find them attractive?

Anyway, he is safe from the frying pan even if he never takes a shine to the RIR’s. I became very attached to the 3 feather footed bantams that I have. Fergus is content to sit in my lap or on my shoulder and have a nice cuddle. (the pic above was taken August 1st and the one below in September)

I dare say that becoming attached to your food source was probably not the smartest thing I could have done. No need to worry about that with the Red Devils though… they could wind up in the oven and I would be quite happy.

That does mean however that I will need to learn how to process. And when I do I'm sure the Chicken Whisperer will give me some great tips! But that is for another day…

No comments:

Post a Comment